2019 Lake of the Prairies Ice Fishing Derby
The 2019 Lake of the Prairies is scheduled for February 23, 2019. Please review the rules for the event below. There is a registration form available for download if you would prefer to mail in your registration.
LAKE OF THE PRAIRIES ICE FISHING DERBY CONTEST RULES
- Manitoba Fishing regulations in effect. In Manitoba, you must have a valid fishing license and all entries must use a barbless hook. Sask. Fishing license is valid on Lake of the Prairies.
- Promoters and organizations assisting in the derby operation, their agencies and agents are not responsible for death, injury, damage liability, theft or fire on any entries. Each entrant, upon entering the derby, will in effect, be signing a waiver form.
- All species of fish native to Lake of the Prairies are allowed. Only those caught with a barbless hook in the usual manner will be allowed.
- All ice fishing holes will be pre-drilled in rows approximately 25 feet apart. Please bring an ice chisel to reopen holes due to weather conditions. Holes may freeze over 1 to 4 inches.
- The contest is scheduled for Feb 23, 2019 from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm at Lake of the Prairies. Only fish caught during these times will qualify.
- No person shall be allowed in the designated fishing area from 12 noon Friday, February 22nd, 2019 until 9 am Saturday, February 23rd 2019.
- In cases of discrepancies or complaints the Derby Official’s decision shall be final. No other person can be considered as spokesperson for the rules during the derby.
- Prizes are determined by length and time registered. In the event of a tie, the first fish registered wins. You can register as many fish as you like but only one winning fish per person.
- FISH MEASURING PROCESS:
Fish will be measured by derby officials only. The process is as follows:
- Anglers to announce they have caught a fish and wait for a derby official to go to the angler.
- Derby official will measure the total length (pinched tail) and determine the time the fish was caught.
- The fish will be released immediately after measuring.
- The information will be recorded by the derby official and initialed by the angler as verification.
- Fishing holes are on a first come first served basis. No saving holes for your buddies. Only pails with stickers can mark holes. Everyone must mark their own hole. Early bird entries received before February 1, 2019 will be allowed on the ice at 9:00 AM to choose their fishing holes. All other fishermen will be allowed on the ice at 10:00 AM to choose their fishing holes. Trickle start will be used to enter fishing area.
- Contestants must fish in area designated for the contest and will be required to have their ticket visible at all times. MUST HAVE Minimum 20 L PAIL with stickers MUST MARK YOUR HOLE. Number on pail must match your entry ticket.
- At all times before, during and after, you are responsible for your safety, actions, gear and equipment.
- Three sided tarps and windbreaks will be allowed. No portable tents or huts allowed. Sleeping bags, blankets, small coolers, heaters and chairs permitted in designated fishing area – all items brought or worn onto fishing are are subject to search.
- Electronic devices prohibited. Jaw jackers/Jig setters will be allowed.
- Concession stand will be present. PLEASE DO NOT LITTER, GARBAGE BARRELS WILL BE PLACED AROUND THE AREA. PLEASE USE THEM.
- NO motorized vehicles in the contest area or within 50 meters except for officials and police personnel.
- Absolutely NO PETS IN FISHING AREA.
- Failure to comply with the contest rules subjects contestants to disqualification.
- The organizer may at any time before, during and after each event change event format if so required.
- Prizes will be awarded on the ice at the close of the derby as soon as calculations are finished. Winners will be posted on www.asessippiparklandtourism.com. Prizes must be picked up within 30 days or will be added to next year’s prizes.
- Prizes will be based on a minimum of 500 derby entries. Entries may be limited to 600.
Entry fee – $60 until Feb. 1 & $80 after Feb. 1. (Must have a Regular entry to purchase 2nd hole – no sharing)
Second hole $40 – Limit of two holes per person. One line per hole.
Derby Entry available at:
- Russell Video- Russell
- Work & Sport Den – Roblin
- Sticky’s Bait & Tackle – Dauphin
- Canadian Tire – Yorkton
Brandon Home Hardware Building Centre
- Friendly’s Grocery Co-op – Inglis
- Luke’s Town Service, 877-665-8537
- Langenburg Home Hardware
- Russell Visitor Centre
Send cheque or money order to: Asessippi Parkland Tourism – Box 447, Russell, MB, R0J 1W0
FOR MORE INFORMATION OR CLARIFICATION email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 204-773-2456, leave a message and we will return your call.